Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Hippa News for Tuesday Oct 9, 2007

Dickinson County Hospital is pictured below. Old fashioned "bloodletting".


Today, as I was being duly infused with my bags of proteinase inhibitor and salt water at the local hospital I, being such an observer of things happening around me, was witness to a real honest to goodness "bloodletting". As pictured above in the olden day the sick guy stood in a tub and the "doctor" poked him a few times and let out a bunch of blood. I had heard of "bloodletting" being done in the early times to treat diseases but would never have believed it still goes on. This old timer came in and sat next to me and grunted a few words and the staff proceeded to take a pint of blood right out of him and throw it away. At least I hope they threw it away. My curiosity was such that I had to ask what the heck was going on! The nurse told me about the client having a high iron level and that by taking a pint out and replacing the blood with salt water the iron level will be closer to normal. Sort of like if you have too much sugar in your coffee and you dump some out and add more coffee the sugar level is reduced. The nurse listed a number of problems that are treated this way. He had hemochromatosis ...HUH what a treatment. I never thought this happens. I learn something new every day! That's Hippa news for today! Happy Wednesday!

2 comments:

Beth said...

I'm not sure that nurse should have been telling you all that about that man. Now the Hippa police will be after her!

Grandpa Jim said...

Do they have guns or needles?

Dream of Travel

Dream of Travel
Hispeed