Sunday, August 05, 2007

Gettin' er Done



Here is a device which appears to be in further development which will help those who need to monitor blood glucose. Its called a glucowatch and is worn like a watch and sucks fluid from the tissue under it and measures glucose values. Maybe something like this is in my future. As for now I guess the conventional meters are still the style. For beginners, however, since the recent diagnosis of my extraordinary blood sweetness I have imposed upon myself the strictest of diets to effect glucose control and weight loss (Dr. B indicated that among other things, I need to be counseled about obesity). Thus the Coke Zero which adds not a calorie to my 1500 calorie daily intake! In addition I am counting carbohydrates and staying at between 150 and 175 grams per day. My diet consists of the finest selection of usual foods. For breakfast I like eggs (2 eggs but the yolk of only one), two slices of bacon instead of 4 or 5 and only one piece of toast with a bit of Parkay on it. This I do every other day alternating with cereal and a little turkey on a slice of toast. For lunch a variety of low fat meats or soups and salads fit into the plan nicely. For supper when I would in the past overload on pasta or potatoes and some real nice marbled steak I now start with a big salad with fat free ranch and then go on to a healthy supply of vegetables either cooked or fresh and then a small amount of pasta or potatoes and some meat. I still do like my share of the condemned "red meat" but in moderation my arteries should hold out and I am doing more turkey and some meat substitutes for protein. And believe it or not, I still can't, I did go to 1% milk. That was tough but I did it! I respect to proposed dietary guidelines I've studied the information from the diabetes association but find it contradictory in that they still push the carbohydrates as the bottom layer of their pyramid. I found another set of information which puts the carbos at the top of the pyramid so I am trying to make them both happy with my choices! They all preach "portion control" and that of course makes sense! Last, but not least, essential to my plan to get back into my 33 waist pants that I have stashed under the bed (about 5 years now) is exercise! For the ten years in the truck there wasn't much exercising taking place. But that is changing so for now its two or more walks a day of between 10 and 20 blocks each or as far as my legs and lungs will allow! And its working! Ten pounds disappeared in the last couple months and the rate will probably be better in the future because of the developing diet. As I said the target is a 33 inch waist and about 145 pounds. That means another 3 or 4 inches off the waist and about 25 pounds off wherever it is attached. Also in the meantime I need to do some abdominal muscle strengthening. They sort of fell to waste in the truck! Do you think a 64 year old can develop a six pack abdomen?

1 comment:

Christopher Tassava said...

Wow! Congratulations on making the big changes so fast, and good luck making them stick. It seems like you're on the right track, given the weight loss! Rest assured that when you're down here next, you'll have only diabetic-friendly food to eat.

(Really, though, you should have asked before using that photo of my stomach.)

Dream of Travel

Dream of Travel
Hispeed