Friday, February 10, 2006

It was an International Test Drive

As they in the office all say a trucker is never happy. Well, what do they know. They gave me this brand new International to take out for a ride. So I did. And after two days I was ever so happy to get back home and back into Volvo. A new truck is always a little hard shifting but this one would take a weeks learning. The tranny was the same as Volvo's but matching it to the more powerful engine would take some time. I enjoyed the extra power the 475 produced but the noise of the bigger engine and lack of adequate sound proofing plus added road and wind noise again from the lack of sound proofing exceeded my expectations. I would venture to guess that the noise level of that unit was 3 to 4 times that of Volvo. The noise would be very difficult to live with. Otherwise, the unit handled well and maneuvered well. I would really miss the fingertip cruise controls and the other controls on the Volvo's steering column. The International had the cruise, wiper, and other controls still on the instrument panel so the driver needs to release his right hand from the steering wheel and reach way up to use the controls. Also the turn signal switch was the old fashioned type which did not self cancel. Turn it on and turn it off was the order of the turn. I also missed the little chirping sound the Volvo's indicator produces. The "house" part of the cab was well apportioned except it lacked the little chest of drawers with the pull out tray the Volvo sports. There was no where one could set down a plate of food for instance. Its a lot of little stuff that adds up to a lot when one is accustomed to Volvo's amenities. I couldn't vote for this truck. Give me a Volvo with a bigger engine and I would be happy!

No comments:

Dream of Travel

Dream of Travel
Hispeed